Social media has several values, benefits and is highly essential in marketing. Every business recognizes this.
Probably you’ve realized how Social marketing engages users, drives quality leads and boosts your online reputation but due to your hectic time as a business owner, you seldom access your own accounts. Finding time for such, albeit a challenge, is important to determine where to place efforts to yield your desired business results.
Moreover, identifying specific tasks and responsibilities as well as hiring the right person to handle your company’s online presence is indeed a challenge.
While these may sound complex, realizing that social media is about connection: conversations, relationships allows you to look and develop prospects, maximizing these connections you have created and fostered. Let this be your start in integrating social marketing and advertising as part of your marketing strategy.
Laying out the Job description is of primary importance. This comprehensive guide I’ve written helps determine social media manager’s task, responsibilities and qualifications.
THE JOB DESCRIPTION
The Social Media Manager primarily manages the company’s social media marketing and advertising. Specific tasks include but are not limited to the following:
• SEO (search engine optimization) and generation of inbound traffic
• Reputation management
• Strategy, Planning and Goal Setting
• Content management (social media accounts, website)
• Brand Awareness
• Cultivation of leads and sales
The Social Media Manager should be highly motivated and creative, displaying passion for connecting with current and future customers. Such interactions should ultimately lead to:
• Community participation and leadership which, are vital to the Social Media Manager’s Success
• Turning fans into customers subsequently turning the later to advocates later on
It is imperative that the Social Media Manager communicates the company’s brand in a positive, authentic attracting today’s modern, hyper-connected buyers.
The Social Media Manager is also instrumental in managing content-related assets. To rank first in a Google Search, relevant content is of primary importance. The social media manager may use measures to optimize and create related content that may help increase the company’s visibility in a search session.
Content management duties include:
• Utilizing tools to manage content and scheduling. (e.g. Post Planner and Buffer)
• Creation and publishing of relevant, original, high-quality content (for all channels and ads)
• Implementing content editorial calendar to organize and arrange planned timely marketing campaigns.
• Implementing organizational development strategies that would improve online content (e.g. employee training, recognition and rewards for participation in the company’s marketing and online review building).
• Integrating all marketing channels (social media, SEO, content marketing, email, print and digital marketing)
• Creating routine publishing schedule and promote content through social advertising.
• Recommending overseeing and evaluating all social advertising campaigns.
This position is full time salaried with benefits. Alternative titles and/or duties for this position include:
• Customer Experience Manager
• Community Manager
• Digital Marketing Manager
• Content Marketing Manager
THE LEARNING ATTITUDE
A strong desire for continuously learning is a crucial component to the Social Media Manager’s success. Allocating time and budget to attend training sessions, industry-specific conferences and effective online courses enables the Social Media Manager to continuously adapt and be adept to social and digital marketing trends and best practices. effective online courses.
THE SPECIFIC RESPONSIBIITIES
Developing and implementing a social media marketing plan is priority for the Social Media Manager. A marketing plan should be created and reviewed every 90 days. Information in the said plan include:
1. Solid Content Strategy
Implementation and execution while important are usually successful if accompanied with a solid strategy. A solid brand idea, persona and precise target market definition is key to determine your next steps.
A unique selling proposition should also be part of your key communication. What is so unique about your company/product which compels/entices people to buy from you people want to buy from you? Answer that question in detail.
A well-defined market as said earlier is also important. Identify their interests, concerns and issues. How will your posts/content drive them to make their purchasing decision?
Don’t forget about those fans who are not in-market. What can you offer them to make their time with you interesting?
2. Promotion Strategy
The apparent pivot from Mass Media to Digital Media promotions has paved the way for more innovative ideas.
One is thru Social advertising (typically Facebook Ads), a quick, innovative communicate with your target market. Their difference in format, content and targeting may look unfamiliar and unconventional. Though different in content, placement and targeting posts, Ads are very effective if planned carefully and executed properly.
3. Brand Development
Customers have reasons why they buy what they buy. A rationale which communicates the unique proposition of your brand with relevant facts to back up the rationale (awards, numbers, in-store policies) answers the consumer’s “What’s in it for me?”.
4. Setting Clear Objectives
Specific and realistic goals are part and parcel of all marketing plans. Results must not be confused with objectives to obtain a Return on Investment. (ROI)
Identifying challenges that the business is experiencing prepares the environment for goal setting. These 5 are the most common:
• Weak brand awareness
• Poor online reputation
• Insufficient website traffic and/or scant visitors
• Slow sales
• Declining customer retention
5. Target Customer Identification
Keeping your market focused and tight allows you to Zero in your resources efficiently thus avoiding a generic/vague approach.
Explore this exercise to identify target customers:
I’m sure you’ve said this once or twice in your years in business: “You know, if we had ten more customers just like them, life would be great!” Write down the circumstances and attributes of those types of customers.
Once you know more about who you want to reach, you can use data to laser target your message. Facebook is invaluable for exploring audiences that are interested in your product or service.
6. Visual Design and Web Development Strategy
Aesthetics and visuals are creating a lasting impression on the users/visitors. Visual branding such as logos and color schemes must be consistent whether it be in status updates, landing pages or Facebook ads, what audience sees will be imprinted in their memory.
Likewise, complex and state of the art web development is crucial to content marketing success. a content hub containing information on products and services as well as comprehensive copy and essential keywords can help both customers to know about your product and search engines to crawl your content for easy searchability.
7. Measure & Analyze to Establish ROI
Key Performance Indicators and Key Result Areas are integral to measure success of a project, an action an event etc. However, several businesses and individuals often confuse objectives with results leading to incomplete and haphazard planning and executions. Measure what matters to you and your business. Here are the top 8 KPI’s that we use at Kruse Control to determine ROI:
• Engagement by Content Type
• Audience Growth
• Audience Profile
• Response Rate and Quality
• Audience Engagement
• Negative Feedback
• Content Reach
Measure results on a daily basis. Your results should tie back to your objectives and provide a clear understanding of the returns you’re getting.
8. Engagement Strategy
Engagement is also essential. Unlike in Mass Media which is typically one-way communication type; Market engagement is a relevant and up-to-date tool which allows you to interact with your target market. By Creating and managing Communities your Social Media manager is able to listen, respond, ask questions therefore engaging your audience. Scripts, discussion outlines and tips in engaging with customers together with adequate knowledge about your brand and product allows the community manager to answer queries do follow ups and curate information to guide the consumers to where they want to get to.
The Engagement Strategy continues on toe the Social Media Posts engagements as well. The same principles in responding to comments and engaging consumers. Two words come in to mind therefore, protocol and presence. Always present and Knowing the right thing to say at the right time.
9. Conversion Strategy
Conversion is basically eliciting consumers/users to respond to your CALL TO ACTION. Whether to buy a product, download an app or use website services, all efforts directing traffic your way are futile without a solid conversion strategy.
Trial usage, messenger bots, attractive and compelling landing pages are some of the tactics implemented to elicit conversion.
• I’ve found most companies need advice and support with conversion strategy. Kruse Control does advise clients on ways to get quicker results that are more cost-effective and more aligned with business goals. I’m happy to explore options if you need guidance. Get in touch with me >>here<<.
To summarize and enumerate tasks of the Social Media Manager therefore, The social media manager:
Manages social media marketing campaigns and day-to-day activities including:
• Monitor effective benchmarks (Best Practices) for measuring the impact of social media campaigns. Analyze, review, and report on effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximize results.
• Develops relevant content topics to reach the company’s target customers.
• Monitors, listens and engages consumers while cultivating leads and sales.
• Designs, creates and manages promotions and social ad campaigns, being sure to integrate with company’s overall marketing campaign plan and channels.
• Creates and manages an online review funnel for building online reviews and reputation.
• Compile reports for management showing results (ROI).
• Maps out a comprehensive marketing plan. Drive strategies that are proven by testing and metrics.
• Identify threats and opportunities in user-generated content surrounding the company.
• Creates, curates, and manages published content (images, video, written and audio/podcast).
• Develops and expands community and/or influencer outreach efforts.
• Analyzes key metrics and tweaks strategy as needed.
• Develops organizational elements in order to implement a proactive process for capturing satisfied customers.
• Analyze campaigns and translate anecdotal or qualitative data into recommendations and plans for revising social media, content marketing, SEO and social advertising campaigns.
• Monitors trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design and strategy.
• Implement ongoing education to remain highly effective.
• Advocates the company in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
• Conducts online advocacy and opens a stream for cross-promotions.
• Oversees design (e.g. Social media graphics for Facebook cover, profile pic, thumbnails, ads, landing pages, Twitter profile, Blog, etc.).
• Monitors online reviews and responds timely and carefully
• Report notable threats to appropriate management.
It is also necessary that the social media manager:
• Possesses great ability to identify potential negative or crisis situation and apply conflict resolution principles to mitigate issues.
• Possesses functional knowledge and/or personal experience with WordPress CMS (self-hosted).
• Makes evident good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly.
• Practices strategic time management.
• Displays ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and video format.
• Displays in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest etc.) and utilization for of such for different scenarios
• Experience sourcing and managing content development and publishing.
• Demonstrates creativity and documented immersion in social media. (Give links to profiles as examples). An active social media presence.
• Demonstrates winning Social Customer Service techniques such as empathy, patience, advocacy and conflict resolution.
• Maintains a working knowledge of principles of SEO including keyword research and Google Analytics. Highly knowledgeable in the principles of “Search and Social.”
• Is a team player with the confidence to take the lead and guide other employees when necessary. (e.g. content development, creation and editing of content, and online reputation management).
• Exceeds at building and maintaining sales relationships, online and off.
• Enjoys a working knowledge of the blogging ecosystem relevant to the company’s field.
• demonstrates excellent writing and language skills.
• Proficient in content marketing theory and application.
• Possesses knowledge and experience in traditional and digital marketing as shown in relevant work experiences.
• Exhibits versatility and flexibility in both marketing to analytical side.
Qualified, Savvy Social Media Managers do not just happen. The individual needs a continuous learning and development mindset to hone his/her craft.
This Social Media Manager Job Description though a comprehensive guide will only be effective if the right person at the helm.
In closing, Think of you Social Media Manager as your voice. He/She embodies the company in matters relating to facets of customer interaction thru digital means. With most every business needing to stronger online presence in order to participate in today’s hyper-connected consumer, it’s in your best interests to hire and develop individuals geared to this position. Because after all, in a digitally competitive world, It is what you definitely need to thrive.
Hi, I'm Paul. If you enjoyed reading this article you might like to read also:
Or check Notes from a VA - The Ultimate Guide to a Successful Virtual Assistant Career for more helpful tips.
I would greatly appreciate if you could kindly share this article to people whom you know will be interested to read this through social media, email, text, or message.
Finally, subscribe to my newsletter to get a free sample page of my book and email updates so you're never out of touch.